Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient American Griffin Depiction

teri107

The Ancient, Global, Griffin Solution; Cultural Diffusion, Paleontological Confusion, Or Living Creature Profusion? Ancient American Mound Builder “Griffin”–Identical to 500 B.C. Persian and 7th Century Greek Griffin

http://s8int.com/WordPress/?p=2149

"In the book; “Animal Carvings from Mounds of the Mississippi Valley, Second Annual Report of the Bureau of Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution”, 1880-81, by Henry W. Henshaw, he says regarding the “owl”:

“The erroneous identification of the manatee, the toucan, and of several other animals having been pointed out, it may be well to glance at certain others of the sculptured animal forms, the identification of which by Squier and Davis has passed without dispute, with a view to determining how far the accuracy of these authors in this particular line is to be trusted, and how successful they have been in interpreting the much lauded “fidelity to nature” of the mound sculptures.

Fig. 20 (the “owl”) (Squier and Davis, Ancient Monuments of the Mississippi Valley, p. 225, Fig. 123) represents a tube of steatite, upon which is carved, as is stated, “in high relief this figure of an owl, attached with its back to the tube.” This carving, the authors state, is “remarkably bold and spirited, and represents the bird with its claws contracted and drawn up, and head and beak elevated as if in an attitude of defense and defiance.”

This carving differs markedly from any of the avian sculptures, and probably was not intended to represent a bird at all. The absence of feather etchings and the peculiar shape of the wing are especially noticeable. It more nearly resembles, if it can be said to resemble anything, a bat, with the features very much distorted”.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• evancj

• Piney

• DieChecker

• teri107

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very interesting. I like how it links Gryphons to prehistoric flying reptiles. Thunderbird, anyone?

My guess is that this has nothing to do with griffins, and it is probably a stylized likeness of a great horned owl.

post-41803-032236100 1280695250_thumb.jp

My guess is that this has nothing to do with griffins, and it is probably a stylized likeness of a great horned owl.

post-41803-032236100 1280695250_thumb.jp

Your exactly right.

The Adena and their descendants the Hopewell layed the foundations of the Southeastern Algonquian "Death Cults". The horned owl was a psychopomp who predicted death. He also carried evil spells and curses to their intended targets.

This is just more Eurocentric horse****.

Lapiche

The artifact looks like an owl to me too.

The piasa bird might count as something of an American Griffon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piasa

032505_piasa_bird.JPG

That's a European interpetation of a Water Cougar. It doesn't have any of the traits of a Griffon.

More European misrepresentation. :yes:

Im seeing an owl.

Your exactly right.

The Adena and their descendants the Hopewell layed the foundations of the Southeastern Algonquian "Death Cults". The horned owl was a psychopomp who predicted death. He also carried evil spells and curses to their intended targets.

Thanks for telling us the real story Piney.

This is just more Eurocentric horse****.

Lapiche

I completely agree.

It amazes me how these arrogant idiots try to hijack other cultures and attempt to distort them into fitting the European biblical world view. It's pathetic. :angry: And whats even more pathetic is the people whom believe them without question.

Taken form the OP's source;

http://s8int.com/WordPress/?p=2149

The s8intcom Blogger

A Biblical Perspective on Science, Without Apology!

What a joke!!! :lol:

Edited by evancj

Yea at about a 4:20 to a 5:20 this stuff is right up my alley. Fables are great, necessary for reality IMO. Without untruth, it's harder to respect what truth and actuality are.

Thanks for telling us the real story Piney.

I completely agree.

It amazes me how these arrogant idiots try to hijack other cultures and attempt to distort them into fitting the European biblical world view. It's pathetic. :angry: And whats even more pathetic is the people whom believe them without question.

What a joke!!! :lol:

Thanks Evan! You might be the first person from Salt Lake I actually like! :)

My experiences with the LDS have been neither cordial or productive and they're skewered version of the history of "The People" is very offensive. In a nutshell. I hate being told I'm a "Burnt Jew".

Peace brother

Lapiche

Right back at ya Piney. You might be surprised to know there are more people like me out here.

My experiences with the LDS have been neither cordial or productive

Same here. But they try hard don't they?

and they're skewered version of the history of "The People" is very offensive.

While I am just a plain old white English isles mutt. I am married to a beautiful Louisiana Choctaw woman so I can empathizes with and support your point of view.

In a nutshell. I hate being told I'm a "Burnt Jew".

Don't blame ya. It's funny how they choose to ignore the DNA evidence that so clearly proves them wrong. :lol:

http://en.fairmormon.org/Book_of_Mormon_and_DNA_evidence

http://www.examiner.com/x-8829-Salt-Lake-City-Freethinking-Examiner~y2009m5d12-New-study-questions-authenticity-of-Book-of-Mormon

Peace brother

Lapiche

Same to you :tu:

Keep on keeping us white guys honest.

Edited by evancj

I stopped reading when I saw the link, there may be diamond in there somewhere, but even it's probably just glass.

I stopped reading when I saw the link, there may be diamond in there somewhere, but even it's probably just glass.

Nope no diamonds, or glass in that pile of rot. Just the same old disinformation designed to make America that much more stupid. :no:

My experiences with the LDS have been neither cordial or productive and they're skewered version of the history of "The People" is very offensive. In a nutshell. I hate being told I'm a "Burnt Jew".

Peace brother

Lapiche

I can understand your point of view mate. Them gobshites from he LDS send their "missionaries" over here to europe, to "convert" us to the true faith. Which I find 1. Laughable in itself, as Europe is the cradle of Christianity, so to speak and 2. as annoying and insulting as any other "missionary" (dixit : Jehova's, Hare Krishna's, etc.). In my book, no religion is better than the other, they all are misleading and deceitful. Using a twisted version of history is just like them.