Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why pay for obsolete domains?

redhen

There's plenty of obsolete websites that are still maintained for some unknown reason.

Exhibit A: Dole/Kemp *96

Again, why? Why pay the domain registration fee year after year for an obsolete site? Now that my friends, is an unsolved mystery!

Edited by redhen

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redhen

• Space Commander Travis

• Mr.United_Nations

• Orcseeker

Top Posters In This Topic

In the forlorne hope that some day, some one will want to buy the name?

(I'd 'like' your post, Redhen but I can't right now)

Edited by Eldorado

Its run by the University of Kansas

http://www.doleinstitute.org/

Hmm, a whois lookup shows;

Registrant Organization:4President Corporation

Registrant City:Shoreview

Registrant State/Province:MN

Admin Name:Corporate and Education Software

I can't see someone keeping this domain in the fears that it will lapse and someone else snaps its up. For what? To make a fake, funny Dole-Kemp lampoon? The time for that is way long gone.

I see the heavensgate.com site is still up too. Last edited, 1997. It expires in Dec. 2013. FYI, this was a cult whose members committed suicide in the hopes that they would be taken to the "Mothership" that was hiding behind the Hale-Bopp comet.

Anyone want to e-mail rep@heavensgate.com to find out more on the "Last Chance To Advance Beyond Human" opportunity?

I think we need a /facepalm smiley

Edited by redhen

I see the heavensgate.com site is still up too. Last edited, 1997. It expires in Dec. 2013. FYI, this was a cult whose members committed suicide in the hopes that they would be taken to the "Mothership" that was hiding behind the Hale-Bopp comet.

Anyone want to e-mail rep@heavensgate.com to find out more on the "Last Chance To Advance Beyond Human" opportunity?

I think we need a /facepalm smiley

Well, in that case I don't suppose there'd have been anyone still around to cancel it ...

... It is an interesting question though, what is the most obsolete or retrospectively embarrassing website still around?

Well, in that case I don't suppose there'd have been anyone still around to cancel it ...

... It is an interesting question though, what is the most obsolete or retrospectively embarrassing website still around?

If the first one is owned by a university. As a student studying computer science. I would find it very interesting to see a website like this hosted on current day systems. To view the code and the vast adaptions in that area and how things have developed.